02 03 RiggstownRoad: What I Want Her To Be 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

What I Want Her To Be

34
My daughter receiving her certification




As my oldest daughter worked the other day on preparing an assignment for her event planning course, I thought quietly to myself how good she is at it.
 
 I also thought about how it was her first interest, and how I knew, even then, how fitted her interests and talents were for that field.  I knew even as she pursued other interests that planning fun, beautiful events is something she would enjoy doing, and do well.
 
 She is so creative.
 
 
And then I began to think about how people ask the question, "What do you want to be?"  
 
How do I want my daughter to answer that question?  Do I want her to say, "I want to be an event planner"?  No, I really don't- not because it is wrong, but because I don't want it to be her identity.
 
 What I want her to BE is a "virtuous woman, for her price is far above rubies."  (Prov. 31:10)  
Event planning is something she may do, not be.  
I believe so many women now have the misconception that their  identity, at least as far as being successful goes, lies in what they do.  
This has certainly been the popular thought for my generation. Let's change that for our daughters.
 
 Let's teach our daughters to be the virtuous women of Proverbs 31.  
Let's teach them that their identity lies in Christ, not in career, or compensation, or even accomplishments.
What do I want my daughters to be?  "Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."  (Prov. 31:30)  
 
I pray this is what they choose to be, and that everything they do, will reflect it.
 
 
 
How about you?  I'd love to hear your thoughts on raising daughters. :)

Sharing at
Modest Mom Mondays

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38