02 03 RiggstownRoad: Gluten-free Crispy Southern Cornbread 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Gluten-free Crispy Southern Cornbread

34
Gluten-Free Skillet Cornbread

This is the recipe I came up with for cornbread that is cooked in an iron skillet in the oven. It is thin, and it has nice crispy edges, which I love!  (I have a fluffy version, too, that I'll share later.)  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
1 c. plain white cornmeal (I use Abbitt's White Cornmeal, fine or medium ground.)
2/3 c. Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour (This is gluten-free.)
1/2 tsp. baking powder (more for fluffier cornbread)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 c. milk
About 3 Tbsp. bacon grease


Directions:
1. Add bacon grease to iron skillet.  I just use a good-sized scoop, but it's about 2 tablespoons.
*Whenever I cook bacon, I save the drippings in a jar in the fridge for times like this.  It's a Southern thing. ;)  If you prefer, you can substitute vegetable oil.
2. Heat oven to 375 degrees.  While oven is heating, place skillet in oven for grease to melt, then remove from oven.
3. Mix all other ingredients together with whisk to form a batter (like loose pancake batter.)
4. Pour batter into hot pan.
5. Bake 30 minutes.
6. Remove from pan with a large spatula and place on large plate or cutting board.  Cut with a sharp pizza cutter.

We love it!


Labels: ,

35 36 37 38